Structured Water Blog
The Matt Damon Water Cause
I would like to show appreciation for the Gary White and Matt Damon water cause and their organization Water.org, which they co-found. They have figured out a way to help many people in poverty stricken communities find better access to cleaner water. Many people around the world have to scavenge for water and quite often walk miles a day for water which might not even be clean.
Water.org envisions a world where everyone in the world has clean water. Here are some water statistics from the Fast Company article, on Matt Damon's water cause, about the current water crisis:
- Every 20 seconds, a child dies from a water-related disease.
- About 80% of sewage in developing countries is discharged untreated.
- More people have cell phones than access to a decent toilet.
- 3.6 million people die each year from water-related diseases.
- Less than 1% of the world's fresh water is readily accessible for direct human use.
- The average American uses 100 gallons of water per day; the average African uses 12 gallons per day.
- Nearly 1 billion people lack access to safe water.
- Millions of women and children spend several hours a day collecting water from distant, often polluted sources.
Water.org, which Structuredwaterunit.com supports, raises money to drill for wells in these communities. Along with this they educate the people to maintain the wells and teach smarter solutions for the local communities to keep the water flowing in their area.
Along with raising money and developing water infrastructures, Water.org also provides reasonable loans to people in need of them to set up their access to water which they call Water Credits. It's a micro-finance tool that seems to be working well. It was essentially Gary White's idea and it has made him a big deal in the philanthropic world, earning him a Skoll Award in 2009 from Social Entrepreneurship. In the Fast Company article Matt Damon said, "WaterCredit is proof that risky ideas can work. It's a big idea done right, and it's working all over the place. That's when it gets exciting.
Structuredwaterunit.com supports the Gary White and Matt Damon Water Cause and their organization Water.org. For every Structured Water Unit sold Structuredwaterunit.com donates $10 to Water.org.